Saturday, March 26, 2005

Fried Tofu Cakes


Fried Tofu
Originally uploaded by michaeldelgado.
On Thursday, I was wondering around Little Saigon and stumbled upon Dong Phuong Tofu. It's a small tofu store that's tucked between several Vietnamese restaurants on Moran Street.

I walked inside and noticed a mother handing her toddler a fried tofu cake. She started eating it and smiling. I smiled at her and she quickly hid behind her mother's legs. I asked the mom what kind of fried tofu she recommends. She immediately pointed to the tofu with chives.

I stared at the various fried tofu cakes on the counter. A lady behind me in line seemed pretty eager to get her tofu, so I told her to go ahead of me. She also ordered the tofu with chives, so I knew I had to get them too.

I walked up to the register and pointed to the tofu with chives. The lady at the register started shoveling the tasty little cakes into a plastic shopping bag. These little yellow cakes are box-shaped and about the size of a cigarette box.

It only cost me a dollar for a bag full of fried tofu with chives. You just can't beat the price. I bit into the warm tofu cake and was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted. The fried exterior added a nice contrast to the soft tofu inside. The chives were stringy, and provided not only great flavor, but also a skeleton to keep everything together as I was eating the tofu.

I brought the remainder of the tofu to work and shared with my coworkers. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the tofu. I'm definitely going back.

Dong Phuong Tofu
15022 Moran Street
Westminster, CA 92683

1 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I love these things! They are particularly good with ponzu (Japanese citrus soy sauce) with cilantro, although at first my Vietnamese friend cringed at the idea. Yum!

I think we like the same food. I love Beignets, pho, and soup too.

Wonderful photos! Makes me hungry.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home