Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Vietnamese Sandwich Nazi

I love Vietnamese baguette sandwiches. They're not only cheap (usually around $1.50), but also absolutely delicious. The sandwiches are made with a foot-long, freshly, baked baguette, and packed full of cilantro, shredded carrots, sweet white radish, some jalapeno slices, and your choice of meat. There's nothing like it.

I recommend ordering your baguette with either grilled or BBQ pork. The meat is typically hot when placed into the sandwich, which help keeps the bread warm. The sweet white radish slices calms the heat from the jalapeno, and the cilantro gives eat a bite a very fresh feeling.

After eating one of these sandwiches, you'll never want to pay $6 for a lunch at Togo's or Subway again.

The most popular place for these sandwiches is Lee's Sandwiches. This popular chain of Vietnamese restaurants can be found throughout Westminster, and now they have one at U.C.I.

Since I've been trying to eat at a different restaurant every day, I drove over to Top Baguette in Little Saigon. This little shop is located in the corner of Trong khu Hoa Binh Plaza, and surrounded by other Vietnamese restaurants and a small grocery store.

Once walking in, you'll notice that there's only one table to sit at, which must always be occupied. The table is situated behind one of the restaurant's refrigerators--which gives this place that down-home feel.

You better know what you want when you enter because you're about to encounter the Vietnamese Sandwich Nazi. This thin, Vietnamese man behind the counter is stern, doesn't smile, and doesn't have time to answer questions. It's best to walk directly to the counter, order your sandwich, and wait patiently.

I love people like him. It makes me want to keep going back.

The following is the entirety of our conversation:

"What do you want?"

"The BBQ pork baguette looks good"

"What about drink?"

I told him that I didn't want a drink, which infuriated him. Next time I'll bring money to buy a drink.

He opened his palm and said, "Dollar-fifty."

I gave him two-dollars. He then literally threw two quarters into my hand and walked away. I never even got a receipt, and I didn't want to ask for it. The lady in the back had evidently heard our conversation and started making my sandwich.

Several minutes later the lady handed me my baguette.

I wouldn't say the sandwich is any better than what they offer at Lee's Sandwiches, but the experience definitely won me over.

I'll definitely be back.

Top Baguette
9062 Bolsa Avenue
Westminster, CA 92683
(714) 379-7726

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home