Monday, April 11, 2005

Han's Homemade Ice Cream & Deli


best-cookie
Originally uploaded by michaeldelgado.
I went to lunch with Blake at Hans' Homemade Ice Cream and Deli in Santa Ana. I ordered their Reuben sandwich (toasted rye bread, corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut). And it's definitely one of the best Reubens I've had in a long time. The bread was perfectly toasted and the sauerkraut to corned beef ratio couldn't have been better. I was quite surprised that a little ice cream shop could make such a good sandwich.

The only trouble about eating at Hans' Deli is that you're in an ice cream shop, and completely surrounded with an amazing display of frozen treats. Our table was across from this refrigerated display of ice cream sandwiches, chocolate-covered frozen bananas, and a dozen other tempting delights.

I must have only been halfway through eating my Reuben when the ice cream sandwich caught my eye. I asked Blake if he wanted to split it, but he wanted his own. Blake ordered a chocolate covered oatmeal cookie sandwich with mint chip ice cream. I ordered the chocolate chip cookie sandwich with peanut butter ice cream. We shared a couple bites of each other's desserts and then spent the next 15 minutes slowly carving away at our own.

Our waitress told us that Hans makes his ice cream every day, and I'm definitely impressed. If you're ever in the mood for some mind-blowing homemade ice cream, give Hans' Deli a visit. It might not have all the extra little toppings like Coldstone, but that's okay. Hans' ice cream doesn't need toppings. It's like ordering A1 Steak Sauce for your steak at Morton's. It's unneeded and almost an insult.

Hans' Homemade Ice Cream & Deli
3640 S Bristol St
Santa Ana
(714) 979-8815

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home