Saturday, April 16, 2005

Mi A Dong & Sim Sum


chicken
Originally uploaded by michaeldelgado.
I wasn't really in the mood to try a new restaurant today. I felt like retreating to Pho 54 for some vermicelli with beef. But since I was daydreaming, I ended up passing Pho 54 and found myself at Bolsa and Moran Street-which is a great spot for food.

To avoid hitting a car, I drove into a small little parking lot behind a Vietnamese shopping center. I had no idea where I was going. The little street had a dead end, but luckily there was one parking spot open next to this little strip mall.

While walking around, I found a little restaurant called Mi A Dong & Dim Sum - Chinese Noodle House & Hong Kong Styles (sic). They serve traditional dim sum dishes all day and have daily specials on crab, lobster, and/or fish.

It's a very clean restaurant with a television playing Chinese music videos. They have all the typical soups, dim sum dishes, and seafood offered at your average Chinese restaurant. Most meals cost around $5.00.

The guy at the table across from me ordered a Vietnamese fried rice dish with shrimp. I don't like fried rice that much, but it looked tasty.

After a brief review of the menu, I ordered Chao Ga (Chicken Porridge). It's sort of the Korean equivalent of Juk (pronounced "jook"). There are many different variations of Juk and Chao Ga (e.g. porridge with pork, shrimp and egg, fish, squid, pork blood, etc.) I love my mother-in-law's Juk, so I wanted to compare.

If you've never eaten chicken porridge before, you definitely need to try it. It's essentially a big bowl of chicken soup, except it looks like porridge because all the rice in the broth has broken down into little bits.

Lilly, the restaurant manager and cook, was very pleased that I enjoyed the soup. She then freely told me how easy it is to cook. Here's what she said:

First, boil a chicken until cooked. Remove the chicken and add rice. Let the rice cook in the broth for about two hours, or until the rice starts to break down. Next, add shredded lemon grass, a little salt, a little sugar, chunks of chicken, and when ready to servee--cover the porridge with chopped green onions and cilantro. It's easy."

It's such a simple concoction that I'm tempted to make it myself. The lemon grass and cilantro combination in the porridge really adds an immense freshness. I feel like I should start using lemon grass in my own cooking on a regular basis.

They also brought me a plate of Chinese Bread Sticks (thin, fried bread). It's the perfect food to dip into the porridge.

So, if you're hungry, and you can find it, maybe you should visit Mi A Dong & Dim Sum.

Cost: $4.50

Mi A Dong & Dim Sum
15041 Moran Street #107
Westminster, CA 92683
(714) 903-8660

4 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Mike,

Yippe!! Your XML feed is added to my bloglines.com! I won't miss another issue now!

6:33 PM  
Blogger admin said...

I figured it out. Thanks!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've enjoyed my visit to Mi A Dong & Sim Sum, but I'm not sure it's what I was looking for. I was actually searching for articles on cabbage - these search engines are weird! Just thought I'd say hello while I'm here :0)

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage loans

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home